While we have our hands in a variety of projects here at Herbal Skin Solutions, when creating and developing new products, we always focus on answering the same core question: how does this product elevate the realm of natural skincare and the esthetic industry?
Although chemical peels are nothing new in the skincare space (after all, even Cleopatra believed in the power of Lactic Acid, as she was known to bathe in milk), and we’ve certainly come a long way since the 1920s Hollywood starlets who ripped their faces off with phenol blends, there still felt like there was room for improvement where modern-day chemical peels are concerned.
What if we could take the tried-and-true methods of today’s chemical peels to solve a variety of skin concerns, but super-charge the blends with natural, botanically-based ingredients and layer the peel with the power of nano-infusion to create a truly customized client experience with optimal results?
The result: Herbal Skin Solutions Pro-Glow Peel and Mandelic Acid Peels.
What is a Chemical Peel and How Do They Work?
Chemical peels are used to treat a variety of skin concerns, including fine lines and wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation, or discoloration, as well as smooth out skin’s texture.
With three degrees of depth (light, medium, or deep), the chemical agents and solutions range in their ability to exfoliate the skin and penetrate the various layers to achieve these varying results based on their unique ingredients and techniques.
No matter what depth of peel is used, the basic mechanism of chemical peels is to provide a chemical exfoliation that dissolves the “mortar” that exists between our skin cells (the bricks), and remove the layers of dead skin to trigger a controlled injury response that results in the reveal of a more youthful, bright, and even-toned complexion.
Chemical Peel Protocols With an Innovative Twist
Typically, chemical peels are performed as an individual treatment or paired with other preparatory services such as microdermabrasion or dermaplaning to allow the chemical peel to penetrate more deeply.
Conversely, treatments such as CIT/Microneedling and LED therapy are best performed as adjunct treatments to be performed from four to six weeks pre- or post-treatment to three to four days post-treatment, respectively.
Chemical peels also are well documented to work best with lighter to fair skin that falls from I to III on the Fitzpatrick Scale.
In a quest to find the optimal middle ground between the incredible collagen-boosting benefits of CIT/microneedling and the power of chemical peels, as well as the unique blend of ingredients to make a peel friendly for all Fitzpatrick types, we crafted the Pro-Glow and Mandelic Acid Peels and their unique, safe and effective Nano-Infusion paired protocols.
Ingredient Knowledge and Benefits
In our Pro-Glow Peel, we crafted a unique blend of naturally-derived lightening agents that work together to even skin tone and texture for an overall brighter and more youthful complexion.
In addition to brightening, the plant and fruit extracts in this blend also makes it highly effective when paired with Nano-Infusion to increase cellular turnover, inhibit skin pigmentation, enhance moisture levels and increase product absorption of active ingredients by up to 97%.
Key ingredients in the Pro-Glow peel include:
- Bearberry extract — derived from the Uva Ursi plant with arbutus as its active agent to reduce melanin production
- Kojic acid — a chelation agent produced by several species of fungi, especially Aspergillus oryzae, which is used to lighten visible sun damage, age spots, or scars
Licorice Extract — derived from licorice root, this extract contains natural lightening properties and antioxidants that work to improve the appearance of uneven skin tone as well as soothe the skin of redness and resistivity
For brightening and age-management, our favorite treatment using the Pro-Glow Peel is to perform a double cleanse with My Skin Buddy followed by the peel prep solution, then dermaplaning to remove dead, keratinized skin and vellus hair so the the Mandelic Peel* can be applied evenly and work deeper without anything blocking absorption.
For our Mandelic Peel, we bring the key ingredient of Mandelic Acid to the forefront in a versatile Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) peel blend that can target multiple skin care concerns, such as uneven skin tone and texture as well as post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Additionally, the gentle nature of the Mandelic Peel blend makes it a safe exfoliative treatment option for sensitive skin as well as all Fitzpatrick types, and the antimicrobial properties of Mandelic acid also make this peel safe for oily and acne prone skin.
Our protocols allow for the Mandelic Peel to be used on its own or paired with Nano-Infusion to increase product absorption of active ingredients by up to 97 percent.
*Note: Mandelic acid is derived from bitter almonds, so it is critical to not use this peel on clients with nut allergies.
Pro-Glow Peel and Mandelic Peel Protocols
Now that you have a broader scope of the various peel blends, ingredients, and benefits, below you can find the specific protocols for our Pro-Glow and Mandelic Peels both with and without Nano-Infusion:
These protocols provide more specifics on the full ingredient list, patient selection and pre- and post-treatment considerations.
Successfully Selling Chemical Peels
When promoting chemical peels as a treatment in your practice, the key is education.
The uninformed consumer’s first impression of chemical peels is likely to induce fear due to historical and pop culture references (Samantha’s face in Sex and the City is an easy one to recall), but with the proper guidance and knowledge, peels provide a powerful way to help our clients achieve transformative results in addition to providing a highly profitable service in our practice.
Here are some ideas for how to begin marketing the addition of chemical peels in your practice:
- Art of the Pre-Sale - How do you gauge your audience’s interest in something new that you’re considering bringing into your business while also having those interested clients fund your investment? It’s a process called mastering the art of the pre-sale, and in my opinion, it’s the best way to onboard any new service or modality you plan on introducing into your esthetic practice.
Click here to read our article on the “Art of the Pre-Sale” for the 3-step process to pre-selling like a pro.
- Throw a Peel Party - Nothing beats seeing the product and the process in person, which is why a peel party or open house event is one of the best ways to open the floor for interest by providing peel demos along with the deepest level of product knowledge while also scaling your time (aka not doing all 1:1 consults). Have extra hands on deck from team members or contracted help to pass out apps and refreshments and keep your space orderly, flowing and inviting while you or a team member performs treatments, talk to interested clients, and get services booked.
- Peel Package Specials - Offering limited-time peel package launch specials is a great way to close the sale at an event such as the aforementioned Peel Party, or to get existing clientele who already know, like and trust you on board with a new treatment. The key is making these launch package specials exclusive to event attendees or existing clientele.
- Show the Journey and Leverage Social - For getting new clientele interested, the best form of marketing you can do is to walk your talk on social. Show the entire process of what it’s like to prepare for and receive a peel from your expert point of view by utilizing live-streaming, Stories, and before/after pictures in your main feeds. Once you’ve documented your entire chemical peel process from pre- to post-treatment, compile your media together to great an A to Z guide that serves a foundational piece of content on your website.
Ready to begin offering a new technique in providing transformational results for your clients in addition to boosting your practice’s profits through the power of chemical peels?
Click here to shop our Pro-Glow Peel and click here to shop our Mandelic Peel.
For questions and guidance, get in touch with our support team of licensed skincare professionals at email@example.com or 844-HSS-SKIN.